Information for Instructors
Students are responsible to inform themselves of University policies regarding the Code of Academic Integrity. Students found to be in violation of the Code are subject to penalties ranging from a loss of credit for work involved to a grade of E in the course, and possibly risk suspension or probation.
Suppose you suspect a violation to the code of academic integrity. The short-short version of the procedure is:
- The student should receive written notice requesting a conference with student within a reasonable time frame. The written notice should include a detailed reason for the conference and fair consideration of the charges against them.
- The faculty member must confer with student within 15 academic days (typically 3 weeks) of receiving evidence.
- After 15 days, the instructor may impose sanctions if student has not responded to multiple reasonable attempts to meet.
- If an instructor does not pursue the potential violation after 15 academic days, then the student shall not be subject to the code.
- Within 10 days of the conference, faculty shall prepare a written decision outlining the charges, evidence, findings, conclusion, and sanctions imposed on an online form from Dean of Students Office. The Dean of Students Office will notify student and their Academic Dean (with faculty member copied).
- The student has 10 academic days yp to appeal to their Academic Dean.
- Within 15 academic days of receiving the appeal, the Dean of the College shall schedule an appeal hearing, to be concluded within 30 academic days of receiving the appeal. At that time, the Dean may decide:
- To overturn sanctions are overturned and remove record of a violation (there is not enough evidence to support a violation).
- To uphold the faculty member's decision and sanctions (violation is supported by evidence and sanctions are appropriate).
- To modify the sanctions (violation is supported by evidence, but the sanctions imposed are inadequate or excessive).
The following links have been created to assist instructors who suspect a violation of the Code.
- Record of Faculty/Student Conference - online form
- Math Department policy for handling violations of the Code of Academic Integrity can be found in the Instructor Resource Manual
- Help for faculty from the Dean of Students Office