The Math Department has FREE access to all of the Google Apps in the GSuite for Education. You can see all of the available apps by clicking on the Google Apps icon at the top of any Google page (Gmail, Google Drive, etc.):The Math Department has FREE access to all of the Google Apps in the GSuite for Education. You can see all of the available apps by clicking on the Google Apps icon at the top of any Google page (Gmail, Google Drive, etc.):
In particular, the Math Department makes good use of the Google Groups function:
Please read below to understand how the Math Department uses Google Groups, and how you can use them to your advantage:
- Email lists: Since moving to GSuite for Education, we have replaced all of our old email listservs with Google Groups. "firstname.lastname@example.org" is a Google Group that contains all grad students from Math, Applied math, and Stats. "email@example.com" is a Google Group that contains only instructors of Math 112 and other related individuals (some staff, coordinators, etc.).
- Note: Individuals are added to most groups, but some groups (such as "gradstudents") are a combination of other groups.
- The ALL group is created by Google to include everyone in the @math.arizona.edu domain.
- Email Archives: Did you accidentally delete an important email from one of the Math groups? Click on the Groups icon then find your group:
- My Groups will show the groups to which you were individually added.
- If you don't see a particular group (such as "all"), browse for it.
- When you click on the group, a list of all emails sent to the group will appear, sorted by date, newest to oldest.
- You must be a member of the group to view the email archives. This keeps the email secure for only the intended recipients.
- Note: If you send an email to the group name (like "firstname.lastname@example.org"), you will not receive a copy of the email unless you CC or BCC yourself. For confirmation that the email sent, either use CC/BCC or check the group archives.
- Google Drive: Using Google Groups is an easy way to share a folder of documents to your group, whether it be a research group, group of course instructors, committees within the department, etc. Rather than having to handpick people with whom to share the folder, or constantly sending email attachments to the same list of people, create or use the appropriate group and share access to the Google Drive folder with that group. If you are sending emails through Gmail (recommended), you can easily send the link to a document or folder within the Drive. Look for the Google Drive logo beside the "Send" button:
The members of the groups are maintained by designated members of staff and the coordinators of each group. Stop emailing and sending attachments to huge lists of people! Share documents within Google Drive by adding the whole appropriate group.
Want to create your own group? Click here for guidelines and help creating a Google Group.